How to lose weight and influence people
Ok, I am lying about the influencing people… but it made my headline way more catchy this way.
So, it’s Saturday night and I am at home doing nothing but watching cooking programs and keeping myself entertained which got me thinking about sharing some tips and tricks that I have learnt over the years on how to lose weight, which I am pretty good at (I lost 50kgs, if you are new here and don’t know about my past)
So here are my tips for losing weight and sticking to the plan to reach your goals
- Plan, plan, plan and plan some more. Being caught at a place where there is nothing you can eat is heart-breaking. Prep your meals, weigh out your food and always have snacks on hand.
- Don’t think that drinking fruit juices is healthy. It takes like 10 oranges to make a freshly squeezed orange juice. Would you eat 10 oranges in a day? Nope, probably not.
- Don’t go overboard with working out if you don’t like the gym. Taking on too much at once is setting yourself up to fail. You can’t change a lifetime of bad habits in a month, so don’t try to. I lost 20kgs doing NO gym and just eating right. Also, the gym is way easier when your lighter (trust me).
- Order off the menu. There is no shame in saying “Can I have the steak, but with no sauce and with mushrooms on the side instead of chips/butternut/cream spinach”. If the restaurant doesn’t want to accommodate you or charges you more, then they aren’t a nice restaurant.
- Stay away from cappuccinos and lattes, they are both made with copious amounts of milk, and milk in excess is the devil. Good lord, I miss my cappuccinos. Americanos are where it’s at, I don’t like them very much if I am totally honest, but I am learning to.
- Focus on little goals and then treat yourself when you reach them. Did you lose 2kgs? or fit into a pair of jeans? Well done, you skinny bitch, now go treat you damn self by getting a haircut or going for a lux massage. Losing 20kgs is daunting, losing 5kgs… not so much.
- Document everything. Weight yourself, take photos, measure yourself and try on clothes that you couldn’t fit into. When the scale is not moving and you don’t know what else to do you will be quite surprised to see that your cms have gone down and those jeans are that much closer to button up.
- Make different plans. As South African’s we always tend to meet with friends and family over food. Stop doing that. I meet up with my friends to go for walks, hikes or visit garden centres, whatever you do keep moving. Sitting down at a restaurant and staring at a menu where everything is delicious and you can’t eat anything is torture. Don’t do it.
- Less alcohol. I am pretty lucky, I have never been a big drinker so I can very easily just stop drinking, if you can’t and HAVE to have a glass of wine or a beer drink less of it and make smarter choices. Castle Lite is great, as is dry white wine (add soda to make it last longer)
- Get bad ass gym attire, when you do start working out. Look freaking awesome doing it. I treat gym like a fashion show, if I don’t feel like I look good at the gym then I don’t want to go because everyone in there has all the right bumps in all the right places.
Ok, that is all MY tips. I am not saying that you should follow them all, but it’s all things that have helped me when I am doing a super strict diet and have helped me post eating plan to keep the weight off… So give them a try. What doesn’t kill you, sometimes makes you thinner.